Community of Sahel–Saharan States (CEN–SAD)
The Community of Sahel–Saharan States (CEN–SAD) was formed in 1998 with the primary objective of promoting the economic, cultural, political and social integration of its Member States. Article 1 of the Treaty establishing the Community provides that the aims and objectives of CEN–SAD are to:
• Establish a comprehensive economic union with a particular focus in the agricultural, industrial, social, cultural and energy fields
• Adopt measures to promote free movement of individuals and capital
• Promote measures to encourage foreign trade, transportation and telecommunications among Member States
• Promote measures to coordinate educational systems
• Promote cooperation in cultural, scientific and technical fields.